Sharing an insightful excerpt from one of my recent interviews....
Recently during an interview, a young interviewer asked me, what according to me is literature? I replied candidly, “Anything that is creatively produced and presented in an aesthetically enduring way like poem, story or a play is a literature piece.” Things were normal till now.
Her next question was, “Does a social media post qualify as literature?” The question was valid and pertinent. My reply stunned her, and a sense of discomfort was clearly visible on her face, which amused me. I said, “Why not?” If a social media post contains a creative, visually appealing, and artistic piece, even if it’s just two lines, with profound and meaningful words, I would consider it a piece of literature."
A sense of confusion replaced discomfort on the interviewer’s face. She recovered quickly and asked the same question to re-confirm. My answer remained the same. Looking at her confused state, I decided to park the ball in her court. I asked her, “What is your take on the subject?” Should a social media post be considered a piece of literature or not?”
She was not ready for such a return volley but replied nevertheless, ‘’ Sir... according to me, literature is produced as a poetry, fiction, non-fiction piece or a drama on a piece of paper or a book. A social media post is below par to hold a literature piece."
That confirmed my belief that probably, like most other students, she was taught a copybook definition of literature, and being a youngster, she didn’t bother to question the age-old definition of the subject.
I asked, “Tell me what is essential to produce a literature?” She was clueless. I didn’t wait for her reply, else would have made her more uncomfortable.
“It’s the language... right?” She nodded. I had her full attention now. “Now, if the sole essential for producing a literature piece is language than how does it matter as to on which medium it is presented to the reader? The textbook definition of Literature, you read was written years back when there was no social media. In the past, creative work was presented to the reader exclusively through newspapers, magazines, and books. But now social media has become the most powerful medium to share a creatively designed piece. I, being an Author regularly share creative pieces of my upcoming books on social media as posts, stories, news feed or status and it absolutely qualifies as a piece of literature. “
“Thank you so much, sir! This interview was by far the most insightful of all the interviews I have taken today. Thank you for breaking the mindset and bringing in fresh perspective to my understanding.” With these words she took off with a broad smile on her face.
I, on the other hand, felt contended. After all, I could break free a young journalist from her cage today.
Good take on literature and in today's social media scenario , completely valid. Though social media seems light hearted, that is where creativity is taking root and also being seen.
ReplyDelete