It was like any other day last week when I was driving down to meet a prospective client in South Delhi around 10:30 in the morning. I came to an intersection and had to stop at a red light. While I was waiting patiently for the light to turn green with my mind working on something, a gentle knock on the driver side window broke my thought. I turned my head to my right and saw a young boy with an enormous pile of English novels balanced meticulously on his left hand asking me to buy a book.
Me being an ardent book lover, couldn't stop myself from giving a cursory look at the titles on display and did a quick mental tick on the ones I had already read. One of the title which caught my attention was Chetan Bhagat's classic 'Two States'. Just to pass time, I rolled down my glass and asked the boy the price of the book and the next moment the boy swiftly pulled the book out of the pile and thrusted it in my hand and blurted out, "Only 100 Rs sir!" That very moment, The light turned green for me and I quickly gave the book back to the one it belonged to, telling him I have already read it and I am not interested in buying.
During that brief period when the book was in my hand, I could open it and quickly flip through the inside pages. It was as expected, a pirated copy of the bestseller novel, which otherwise would have cost no less than 250-300 Rs in original form. Which led me to think as to what level of financial dent these pirated copies might have been making to the author, the publisher and the literary world. The author loses royalties, Publishing industry garners financial losses, and it overall damages the creative ecosystem. A complete mess, isn't it? It's illegal, unethical and amounts to theft. I clearly understand, being an author, the heat will reach me too at some point in time. But I have a different take on this issue when I look at it from a reader's point of view.( At this point, I want to clarify that in no way I am in agreement with piracy and taking sides with such malpractice. I am only presenting the other side of it.)
Imagine an avid reader whose day wouldn't end without reading from his favorite author's work. He might be a student from a modest background or may be a low wage worker who does not has the financial means to buy original copies of his favorite author's new releases. At such time, pirated copies come to his rescue, and he can keep on enjoying his reading experience without a break and making a dent on his budget.
Moreover, look at the reach of pirated copies! They have the potential to reach all strata of people who are actually interested in reading but are unable to buy fresh copies due to understandable financial constraints. Look at it this way... a pirated copy takes the bestseller writer to every nook and corner possible and ultimately ends up adding up newer readers for him and followers for life. A feat the original copies can only dream about. Any which way, reading habit amongst people is on the brink of becoming extinct.
At this point, let me ask you another question. Has anyone seen a lesser known author's books sold as a pirated version at such red lights? I am sure the answer will be a big "NO". People in the business of generating and selling pirated copies only pick up titles and authors that are bestsellers and are widely accepted. After all, it's a business. No one will buy an unknown writer's work even if they are a cheap pirated copy of the original.
Without sounding absurd, on a lighter note, I truly wish someday pirated copies of my books are also sold at such red lights. I would truly feel arrived that day. It would be a dream come true scenario for an author...free marketing without spending even a rupee and above all, increase in sales and reach of my books.
Do share your thoughts...
Until next time. See you!
No comments:
Post a Comment